Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Peace in the City

Ogeum Park [Google Maps link] is an escape. It is large enough to almost leave the city behind. I find it remarkable how different I feel surrounded by trees. It could be just in my head, but the air seems fresh, almost scrubbed. The park is about two stories above street level. The entrance closest to Ogeum station has a pond that looks out over the city, and is recessed enough to kind of escape the sound of cars.

Recently, I have been going to this park after work. It is a nice place to unwind and let my mind untwist after a day of teaching (see also: yelling, pleading, weeping). The first thing I always do is meander to the reflexology footpath.


This is a happy discovery. The path starts with small rocks, moves to wood laid at the diagonal, large rocks (the size of your foot), rounded stumps and then reverses the process to the end. It does feel great to walk on and it is something that puts my mind immediately on the present. Whatever has happened in the day up to this point is not more important than my walk.



The end of the path leads right into what I will call an adult jungle gym. These are in every park I have seen, and old people love them. There are a number of fitness machines that look like they should be endorsed by Tony Little. There is the Gazelle, a couple twisty discs, and parallel bars. Old people are all over these things! So I am to. If it is good enough for an ajuma, it is good enough for me.


This specific gym has a couple pull up bars, a sit up platform and a bench press. It is a nice, free workout in the woods. I am the only non-Korean there, and a lot of people stare at me, but I am getting used to it.

It is a nice little park and is becoming part of my daily routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment